Friday, November 20, 2009

Regeneration



Well it has been about five weeks of healing. I’m now nearing the end of the process of regenerating new skin and losing the skin I worked to thicken all last year. I’ve been told that the skin will thicken quicker this time. I hope that is true and I am going to do whatever I can to help it along. Once again I find myself trying to thicken the skin on the soles of my feet gradually. This is done by being barefoot as much as possible and on rough surfaces, but not so much as to wear the skin off. Its harder to take things slow now, but I want to build strong healthy feet so I can concentrate on increasing my running distance. I’ve been running on an indoor track every Tuesday for the month of February and I was able to walk approximately 5k outside a couple of times when the weather was good. I plan to start doing the pub runs again in March when the weather allows. Despite the early setback, I hope to make some significant improvement in my distance this year. If I can do that, then everything else should improve.


After having some time to think about what went wrong on that last pub run I think I know. Although hindsight is 20/20, I should have realized the increased danger of frostbite from salted snow. Anyone who has ever made icecream in the summer knows that salt mixed with ice is much colder than ice alone. Now I know that salty snow is one of the greatest hazards of winter barefooting. Unfortunately I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment